You know when a craving hits and it’s all you can think about? That’s how these Mini Banana Muffins came about.
When we were kids my Mom had this diabolical recipe for banana muffins. It was a family favourite for sure.
Flash forward to the past couple of days and I couldn’t get those darn muffins out of my head. Except now that we are gluten-free and dairy-free I knew I would have to tweak the recipe.
The original called for tons of white sugar, butter, white flour and eggs. I eat eggs, but my daughter has a sensitivity to them, so when I bake these days, I sub in a flax egg so that we can both enjoy the end result.
Making them Allergy-Friendly
In my version of Mom’s banana muffins, I’ve used no refined sugar, instead opting for coconut sugar, which is lower on the glycemic index (meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar as drastically as plain old white sugar) and it contains a range of B-vitamins and minerals.
I’ve also used a gluten-free flour blend (I like the Cuisine Soleil brand because it doesn’t contain potato starch, which is another ingredient my daughter is sensitive to).
Instead of butter, I’ve opted for ghee, which is butter with all of the milk solids and proteins removed. You could also use coconut oil for a vegan option. Ghee has a buttery taste, and tends to be a good substitute for those with dairy (lactose, casein) sensitivities. Click here to learn more about the benefits of ghee.
Finally, I’ve used a mixture of ground flax seeds and water as an egg substitute. You can likely use an egg in place of the flax mixture if eggs work well for you. Just know that the flax/water mixture is a really good sub for baked goods if you need to feed someone who cannot tolerate eggs.
It has been a process learning about various baking swaps to make the finished product more allergy-friendly. So, if you have any questions about ingredients and why I’ve used what I’ve used, feel free to drop me a line or leave a comment below.
And now, on to the fun part. Making banana muffins and eating them. I hope you enjoy!
Gluten-Free & Vegan Mini Banana Muffins
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
- 3 Tbsp Warm Water
- ¾ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1-1/4 cups Mashed Ripe Bananas
- Juice from ¼ Lemon
- ¼ cup Melted Ghee or coconut oil
- 1.5 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flax and water, stir well and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Cream together flax "egg" with coconut sugar until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Wait to stir until after next step.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas and add ghee and squeeze of lemon.
- Stir dry ingredients together with sugar and flax mixture. Then add banana mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in walnuts or chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour batter into lined mini muffin tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.